The Islamic Center of Southern California is an independent organization. Its function is to practice and propagate Islam in the United States of America by providing religious, educational and recreational facilities for members of the public at large. The emergence of an American Muslim identity is its prime goal.
- The sources of Islam are the Holy Quran and the authentic (or 'sahih' in Arabic), non-controversially relayed, tradition of the seal the messengers, Mohammed (peace be upon him). Other traditions, man-made rules, ethnic behaviors, etc., are not infallible, and are not considered as sources of Islam.
- Islam is a universal mercy of God. Muslims identify primarily as Muslims not as an ethnic group, race, color, or tribe. No ethnic activities, or overtones are allowed in the Center.
- Arabic is taught as the language of the Holy Quran. The language of communication and conducting activities of the Center, is the language of the land, i.e. the English language.
- Sect, school of thought (or 'madhab' in Arabic), are a matter of personal preference, not a community policy. The affairs of Muslims should be handled through consultation (or 'shura' in Arabic), discipline and organization.
- The Center is committed to progressive performance and to the state of the art in all the ways and means of projecting and propagating Islam. Men and women are equally responsible to put the effort, formalize the policies and design the plans for the Center.
- The Center does not believe that segregation of the sexes is the guarantee of righteousness, but modesty, decency, and observing the prohibitions that Allah and his apostle dictated, as well as the purity of the heart and the clarity of the conscience, are the guarantees.
- While advocating the codes and ethics of Islamic behavior, we believe that there is no compulsion in religion. And we believe that the consideration of feelings of all human beings is a matter of great respect and attention.